Sunday, August 27, 2006

Red raw

Ish. Friday night i went to the New Lane hawker place for dinner. When the kuey teow was sent over, as the lady put the plate and chopsticks down in front of me she turned and said to my friend;

"Ee eh bo?"

(For those that know hokkien you'll know its not jibberish, but asking if i was capable of using chopsticks to eat.) In other words;

"She can or not?"

Its not the first time this has happened, and always results in my friends laughing at my expense. And whats ironic is that she turned to my friend who looks but isn't Chinese asking if i the actual Chinese could use chopsticks or not...Grrr! Had a good laugh over it though, and i know its bound to happen again. Sometimes, they dont even bother asking, but send over my noodles automatically with fork and spoon. And there's nothing i can do but smile appreciatively and moan inwardly. I mean, it is kinda nice that they took the trouble to provide me with what they assume would be more "natural cutlery" for me to use... :/ There's a saying that when you assume you're making an ass out of you and me.

Yesterday morning, i finally went to Pantai Keracut. Been hearing alot about it since i first went up to Penang last year, so when given the opportunity i jumped at the chance. Thanks Tek Shin! Its about a 1hour trek in through the jungle, not exactly real jungle trekking cause the path is quite proper, with steps etc. Halfway in it started to rain, and it began just when we were nearing a lil pondok so we ran to it for cover. When it died down, we resumed our journey. The 3 kids were all so full of energy, putting me to shame as i huffed and puffed up the steep parts. Dunno where they get their unlimited supply from.

Suddenly, i was out of the jungle and the beach was right there in front of me. Kinda surprised, cause no warning that its coming. but it just appears... Of course did the whole- stroll along the waters edge, played with the kids chasing the waves and sinking into the sand at the water washed over our feet. Spent a really enjoyable time there, but was quite rushed since i had my bus to catch...sigh. Its nice cause its still somewhat unspoilt compared to the other beach areas in Penang. I was saying how i'd like to go back there one day and camp for a night or two...Anyone interested? =)

There was only one problem, something i knew would happen...

Can you guess?














Yup, i got sunburnt...













If i ever go out with anyone to the beach ever again, please PLEASE remind me to use sunblock. My soulders, neck and legs kena... Now i'm feeling the pain.
*ouch!*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh...those pics look like they belong on the walls of some dermatology clinic. Utterly unflattering. Just add the lines: *drama*

SUNBURNS! This disease (I know it isn't...but it looks good on a penyakit kulit poster) can happen to YOU! Think of the children... for the sake of your loved ones, please fasten your...er..I mean, please apply sun block*.
*available from all 7-11 outlets

queen shelby said...

hurmph...

I've got more chance of getting skin cancer than you okay.

Poor me.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry...in case of emergency, you can have some of mine...what is a little skin among friends? =)