Saturday, September 01, 2007

(Un)Happy Merdeka

I spent Merdeka eve rolling around on my bed. I knew i'd get sick sooner or later since the bug has been going around USM, it was inevitable.

I went to the doctor down tho road from my hostel, and i'm begining to think that the USM panel doctors are all useless. I suspected i had a fever but when i saw him, he didnt even check, although i asked him twice if he was sure. I mean, how hard is it for him to shove a bloody thermometer into my mouth for goodness sake? Just to be certain. My time in his office was less than 5mins, and before i left the room he was already asking the nurse the name of the next patient.

My hopes of going to watch the fireworks were dashed, and at the stroke of midnight i peered out my hostel room window, alone, listening to the faint sounds of the fireworks in the distance. Kinda depressing.

Merdeka day was even worse. My "non existant fever" got worse, and i was tossing and turning for 6hours, unable to sleep due to horrible back pains i couldn't escape, no matter which position i tried. It was so bad that when my roommate left for dinner, i was moaning and groaning and cursing out loud in attemps to find relief.

Thank God, unexpected help came in the form of Sue Min who dropped by with some food. I think i gave her a fright when i opened the door like an ogre. She took one look at me, touched my forehead and said "I'm taking you to the doctor."

I went to a normal clinic where i explained how the previous doc didnt bother checking my temp, and the pain killers he gave didnt seem to have any effect at all.

I ended up getting an injection for the pain (guess where... =/ ) ,some stronger meds, and a doctor who seemed more concerned for me than the previous squat. Thankfully, the meds seem to be working- today feeling much better although my voice sounds like an 82year old evil, wicked witch.

I think, in line with Independence Day, this is a lesson for me - to know when i can rely on my own strength and when to swallow my pride and seek help.
(That and USM panel doctors SUCK!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

get well soon! *hugs*

a.h.t.i.n. said...

hmm...im guessing that the doc inject to the place where there's most fat/skin =P

queen shelby said...

jaytee - . . . YES ! So mortifying... =(
And now there's an ugly, horrid blue/purple bruise like i kena beaten up...