Thursday, May 26, 2005

Walk on.....



Oh my goodness.
Most important match of there year, and where was I...?

Fast asleep in bed.

I could KILL myself for not getting up. BUT I had a headache the whole day at work, and even when going to bed. A horrible throbbing right behind my eyeballs, so sleep was a welcome escape from the pain.

After bible study, at Williams, KP n me were surrounded by non-Liverpool fans, so of COURSE they all started with their "..no way Liv gonna win... sure lose...no need to watch know already...blah blah..." And I just kept saying yes they will win, yes they will. Just wait and see. That's what any true supporter would do.

So when I woke, hours later to sounds from my hp, *beep-beep* of sms's and apparently a few calls, I was blur. And I tot the match was over. And I thought we had lost... Why? Cause the first few sms I read was;
2.51am Su: Things not looking good for you. (Chelsea)
3.00am Daniel: What you think about it now? Still got chance? hehe (Man U)
3.31am Daniel: Good game...can go sleep de..hehe... (Man U)
3.38am Muharram: Wha ha ha..Told you Liverpool suck to the max...See they are rotting now.... (Man U)
3.58am Kok Choong: So cham...Tak pe lah, next year still got champ's league.Oh right..Didnt qualify... (i cant rmb which team...)

See what lovely friends I’ve got...Tsk tsk tsk...So I really thought it was over and done with, no point getting up, go back to sleep. When I heard my mom frantically banging on my room door, asking me to get up n watch, and I actually shouted back "Whats the point we've lost already...the match is over!!!" And she shouted back "No its NOT! Get UP!" Seriously, getting up at 4am and brain all muddled, thinking two different things, its horrible.

Thats when I read the REST of the sms's
4.02am Jon: OH MY GOD.
4.06am Daniel: I salute Liverpool...no regrets staying up to support them..
4.07am Kevin: Hats off to your team girl!!!
4.08am Kok Choong: Oi Wake up! Should watch! its a fantastic comeback!

How quickly ppl change their tune. Idiotic guys... At least when I'M kutuking or teasing, I wait till the END of the match before sending taunting sms's...kekeke
Have you all NEVER heard of the term " Its not over till its over"
Football fans my backside...ha ha

So I sprang out of bed (still with a headache...so sucky!) And raced downstairs to join my mum n dad. Goodness, finally saw the score, 3-3 n my mum gave me a brief re-telling of what happened. I took a migrane pill to try n shake off the headache, and sat down to watch the rest..All the while sms's still coming in

4.20am Muharram: I have nothing to say.....The stupid refree got brain problem.....
4.29am Jon: Hang in there,by tmr u'll realize it was worth it. IF they win of course. Cisse score.fairytale complete.
4.39 Muharram: Damn........gone another 200 bucks..... (sadly not to me)

And so full time came,rest for extra time. I was on the edge of my seat, munching on crisps...Extra time came, and went.Which meant penalties. Even MORE nerve wracking.

5.20 Daniel: Haha, will Liverpool suffer the same fate as Man U or got luck like Arsenal...

At that point, when the penalties started, I went mad. If any of you could've seen me at that moment, you would really say "Shelby's lost it..." Its so funny, my family were all so diff. My dad, cool as a cucuumber. My mom, face hidden behind a pillow "I cant watch...I cant watch.." And me. I was bouncing up and down in front of the t.v., talking all sorts of nonsense, till my dad told me to "shush! so noisy!" Hahaha, but different people handle and express themselves differently...! What to do.
Well, when Shevchenko (who, by the way, the William guys were all PRAISING to high heavens)penalty got saved, there was the one second pause.

One second where there's no sound.
One second when you're not sure if what you saw, WAS what you saw.
One second of just being utterly and completely stunned.

And then the floodgates burst. I SCREAMED my head off...The stadium roared... Total, uncontrolable joy!!! Leaping up and down in the air...Prancing about...Looking like a fool, but who CARES?!? Ah...what a great moment.

And my fav. sms from fellow supporter...
5.35am Mun Onn: We are the CHAMPIONS!

After semi-calming down, I called ALL the monkeys that had sms'ed me, the ones that proclaimed Liv. the loser by half time... Oh what added joy it was to hear them admit what a mistake they had made and eat their own words. SO fulfilling...hahaha. But I have to say it.. I TOLD YOU SO

By then, I was WIDE awake, adrenaline pumping, migrane pill took effect so headache fading... There was no way for me going back to sleep. How could I? Went online, grinning from eat to ear. Spent the rest of the night/morning looking at photo's n reading all sorts of stuff bout the match. Wanted to go out and celebrate,but no one was available. And the person that was, didnt know that I was , so couldnt share the feeling with fellow Liverpool supporter.

This is the worst part. I had work at 10am. Put on jersey and headed off.Thankfully Jeremy is a Reds fan,he too of course wore jersey and brought his scarf to work...And when we saw each other we just beamed and was like "oh my God!!!" more screaming, more hopping about. Spent the first HOUR of work just talking about it, gushing would be a better word.

Nothing could get me down toady...! Or so I thought.
Managed to get through work without dozing off , or falling flat on nose. My bosses were so amused with me n Jer. And of course told us we were mad.
Think the day is over? Nope. Had YAF dinner after work, which I was SO happy to go for because 3 fella's were there that I couldnt wait to kenakan kau-kau, for they were the ones that TOTALLY didnt have any hope for Liverpool. Wont get into the dinner, cause it was a downer, but seeing thier faces and listening to their bumbling words of apology was GREAT...! But Mun Onn didnt wear Liv. jersey, wasted, wore a "red" shirt and tie, which was actually maroon la.

Ended the day totally spent.Energy drained.
Body just wanting to crash.
But oh what a day.
What a game.

So many people insult Liverpool. Make fun. Look down.
To me its like, whatever.
They always do that.

And just when you think they're at their all time low, in no position to salvage themselves, they rise up and play like never before. Winning so gloriously, that everything from the past -past mistakes, past losses- all just fade away. Honestly, this is the essence of Liverpool that I love. That they have thats something in them to win, and not JUST win, but in such a way, that can silence ANY doubter.

Walk on, walk on , with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone,
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE...!

No comments: