Thursday, October 23, 2008

This is the story of a girl
















I had no idea what the show was about, but it turned out to be really good.

The first piece was about two friends who've not met in 6years, by chance meet at a bus stop and catch up, in a way. The gadis in this story was actually a soft guy, and he played the part really well. If he hadn't, the piece would've flopped.

The second piece was even better, and it was a MONOLOGUE that lasted about 45minutes! The one woman show by Sherry Abdullah was borderline fantastic- there was no monotony, it never felt draggy and she managed to portray her character really well. I felt it was a better story compared to the first, had more 'depth' to it, and even though her story got many laughs from Tini's bubbly, quirky personality, it was a sad story, with many serious elements actually embedded in it.

One odd thing was the presence of so many children, about twenty 7year olds watching a play that had a notice outside, "Contains adult content". It was amusing and 'cute' to see how they reacted to the actors, and though they probably wouldn't understand much of the subtle (and not so subtle) jokes, I personally didn't think they should have been watching.

The show is in Malay and Manglish, with English subtitles in the background. However, its SO much better to watch it not reading the subtitles, its hilarious how they've captured real Malay expressions that people really use.

Its only on till Sunday, but if you're free go for it. More info here.


*


When I arrived at KL Pac, I sms'd Colin Langsir-

Sms: I'm in KL Pac and the poster for your show is up. Cool.

Reply: I'm in KL Pac too. Parking the car.

Coincidence betoi!

Too bad he had to read the subtitles most of the time.

=p

But I think we agreed that the Footstool Players performance MUST have seats for the audience.

Sitting with nothing to lean back on for almost 2hours is torture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Dearie! I didn't "HAVE" to read the subtitles most of the time lah. It's an idiosyncrasy of mine to read the subtitles when I can understand both the language being spoken and the language being subtitled, just to see how they translate. Haha. That's why you got my comment whispered to you mid-show about "That last comment just didn't translate lah." So sue me if I'm so clever I can actually listen to one language AND read another at the same time. Hmph. :p

C. Langsir