Sunday, October 12, 2008

But the greatest of these...

As I crossed the busy main road, I spotted my friend walking up the hill. I was glad to see her, I wasn't sure if she would come.

Walking in, I was surprised by the atmosphere in the main hall- it was buzzing and bustling with excitement. Obviously I expected a crowd, but I didn't expect such a crowd. Once we found seats, I spent some time catching up with those I rarely get to see, one fuzzy wookie in particular.

When it was time for the show to begin, everyone quietened down and I waited for the lights to go out.

It was good.

Watching the actors perform scenes that reflected my own life had me laughing and sighing. It was like looking in the same mirror from different angles. Past and present. Truth and Lies.

One friend commented that she didn't really like the sad sketches. I told her, that's reality, life is like that. If it were to be only funny, feel-good happy endings, it would be fake.

Knowing the Footstool Players style, in between each sketch meaningful songs related to the scenes are played. I remember after watching them for the very first time, I went home and sent them an email, asking for the song titles. I didn't know any of them then. It was over four years ago. Years later, they again have chosen songs that capture the essence of the story, and while listening in the darkness each person is given the privacy to think and to feel.

If you want to watch something with meaning, catch their performance.

Find out where they'll be performing here, pick a date and go.

After all, you, me, the electrician, the grumpy school teacher...everyone has experienced the ups and downs of the Crazy Little Thing Called Love.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheow Bee,

Glad you enjoyed the show. Didn't see you in the huge crowd - 720, I was told. We were overwhelmed by the response - not just in numbers, but in appreciation expressed even from the few we got to talk to.

Yeah, the sanguines will complain about our sad pieces, and the melancholics will complain about our upbeat ones. Someone complained to me that there was too much optimism in the show. LOL! You just can't please everyone, can you? And we never intend to anyway. Our best hope is that EVERYone has SOMEthing to take back and ponder on.

Yeah, I still remember that email requesting the titles of the songs we used. Seems like yesterday. How time has flown. "You're a big girl now." Haha. And we're no longer strangers. :)

"Billy" ;)

queen shelby said...

Billy!

It was hilarious seeing the both of you in that piece. I had to try very hard to not see the two of you as the two of you.

TLC seats are usually fully packed only once a year, Christmas! The crowd was awesome and I hope there were visitors that will come again. I was sitting up in the balcony so I had a good view most of the time.

You still remember the email? Sure or not... hehe..
Time goes by so fast, you never realize it till you stop and realize it.
'Big' girl indeed, but sometimes i still feel like a kid.

PS: Friends up North were wondering when you'll be doing the Northern tour...