Friday, August 24, 2007

Convo Week 13th – 19th August 2007

Hot – sweaty – noisy – MADNESS!

But the good kind, of course.

It began calm, with the ex-USMer’s returning to campus to pick up their robes, mortar board (square hat) and fill in forms asking questions like “Have you got a job yet?” *Which according to a newspaper report says that 75% of USM grads have gotten jobs. Woo hoo!*
















As always, the atmosphere around campus becomes totally different- everything is somewhat put on hold due to convo, so students and lecturers alike are all happy!






















What we students love the most is the stalls that open up all the way from Sg. Dua entrance up till DTSP. Rows and rows of stalls selling flowers, clothes, souvenirs and most importantly – FOOD!


















Seriously, you spend so much more than you want cause, walk few steps Wah! Kebab… Walk on little more, Ooh! Coconut milkshake… Rm1 here, RM2 there… For a week! So I figure I’ve gotta eat maggi mee for 2 weeks to make up for what I spent. =(

This year PKA did our PIT project again, Pick It Today where we voluntarily go around the Tapak Convo and pick up the rubbish that inconsiderate, lazy people just throw on the ground. My thighs really got a good workout as I had to stop, bend, pick over and over and over...

















Obviously though, the other highlight is when the graduates come out of the hall by the hundreds. All in their purple robes, like a long trail of ants following the ant line till they reach the point where they break free and scatter off to find family and friends. Its chaotic! Madness for everyone- graduates, parents, family and friends. All trying to find one another in the masses.

But it was worth the jostling crowd, Penang heat and car exhaust fumes to get a glimpse of those that have moved on in life. To see their faces light up when they spot whoever their looking for. Kinda like a scene from the arrival hall in an airport, where you wait anxiously at the gate looking for so-and-so pushing their trolley.

Some have changed in the months since I’ve seen them, and some are still exactly the same. It was good to see friends after so long. I was even fortunate enough to get to spend quality time with those who I’ve really missed. I feared awkwardness and initially wondered if I was wanted around, but it turned out to be a very precious time for me and I was sad when it came to an end and we had to say our goodbyes.

Some graduates cried, some were just speechlessly beaming, some acted like it was just another normal day.
But Miss Kenapa Kenapa, mere minutes from exiting the hall, managed to go get her hands on food first before looking for anyone. Wow!





















Convo ke-36 meant this to me, a reminder that the next time round, it’ll be my turn to don them purple robes and take my walk along the DTSP stage. A very stressful thought.
I just hope I’ll come out looking as happy as this:

No comments: