Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Red Box and Huddlers






Finally went there yesterday after like, a super l o n g time, and since its only my second visit there i was kinda blur about several things. For those that dont know, if you go at the non-peak time 11am-2pm you only need to pay for the lunch that you ordered, cheapest being Rm7 + 15% = RM8.10 for 3hours of fun. Not bad eh?

Terrible la, i ordered the pinapple fried rice, but there were no pinapples in it...(?) Out of the 3 who had the same meal, only one had a small bit of the fruit there...Its an outrage! So basically their pinapple fried rice is just fried rice. Dont kena con...


<--My SMDU pals...My goodness, seems like ages ago.














<-- One of my best buds Emily Chan Suet Mei (the one next to me) was my friend since Strd 1, in Australia now =(








Food wasn't the important thing though, i was glad i got to meet up with my Form5 friends that i've not seen in a long time, probably the last time before some go overseas. The change that struck me most was that most of them knew/were into Chinese music now! I was surprised...! Half the songs that were chosen were by fellas like Li Hom, Jay Chow..etc. The only song i knew how to sing, (and most banana's i know know how to sing it too) is the Tong Hua song by that Guang Liang dude... =)

Speaking of the chinese language, i called up a friend of mine and it went to voice mail and it was totally in chinese...I didnt even realise it was voice mail till quite a few seconds cause i didnt understand. Which brings me to something i've always thought about...Does the world outside Damansara Utama all speak chinese?!?!?

Going to local uni its so obvious that english is not the main language spoken by all. Its quite frustrating actually, to see the groups of cina's huddled in an air-tight circle *ching chiang sher pu sher huang hiong hua...etc* And it irritates me to bits! Its like, you're not gonna die if you dont speak chinese you know...

But the worst of the worst are those that start speaking to you in chinese, and when they realise you cant understand they say "You cannot speak meh? But you're chinese hor?" and its said with a upturned-nose, narrowed-eyes look...As if its some terrible horrible public toilet. When i say i never learnt, they move on to blame the parents "Your father chinese right? Why he never teach you?" Another stereotype is: You're from KL what...KL people all speak chinese...*roll eyes* Well, i guess i prove that statement wrong,huh? I really dislike it when people behave that way. I find it very rude. So what if i dont know chinese, so what if my dad never taught me? Does that make you superior?
Get over it...!

People also say : Then how do you order food?
Err, hello?!?! The kuey teow aunty and chicken rice man arent that useless la- they probably speak more and better english daily than the huddlers. They want business, so obviously they're not gonna not serve me just cause i cant order in fluent chinese. Sheesh!

Sometimes, no- many times, the questions people ask make me wonder if they're really that bodoh...Seriously. Or like i said- is the rest of Malaysia all like this?

I dont think i lose out in the big picture. Only socially perhaps. I'm fine and dandy with my english, and have no intention of searching for a job one day that puts me in the same circle as the huddlers.

1 comment:

a.h.t.i.n. said...

aww...i'm having problems with mandarin as well, especially in TAR College, where even the INDIAN speaks fluent mandarin!! blehzz!!