Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Animal Hospital


What would you do for your pet?


Chances are only those that've had pets will understand how i feel.

Last Saturday i took Snubby and Little Dog to the vet, cause they both seemed to have an ear infection.









Well, once we arrived at the vet, LD was so scared, he was trembling violently. Poor baby...Snubby was first on the table, so he didnt have time to be afraid. We've been going to this vet since wayyyyy back when we had our first dog, Tracker- when i was about 6! Its in DJ near Jayadiri. Sadly, the usual vet wasnt around, and a super blurcase was filling in.

My goodness- one thing i do know that vets should do is ask more questions than a reporter. Why? Obviously the dog ain't gonna be telling her its problem, so the only way to find out as much as possible is from the owner. This vet- was. . . weird. She didnt even tell me what she was doing, she just went ahead with me standing there like a block of cheddar cheese, and didnt even inform me when she was done with Snub. For a few minutes she washed her hands not talking, and i had to ask if that was it... That visit set me back RM194 *sob sob!*

I hate taking my doggies to the vet...Its like going to the dentist, i can expect them to feel pain. And when they yelp from an injection or whimper from painful ointments- i feel it too. At that moment you know what its like to really love. When a helpless being is fully dependent on you and turns to you for protection. LD pressed his nose under my arm after getting the jab, and didnt wanna come out.















Yesterday, Snubby was worse. He was caughing and wheezing- as if choking on something. So my dad took him back and checked him for heartworms. Thankfully, he didnt have any, and was sent home with a "caugh". Thats all it was the vet said. Well, she was so wrong.
By 8pm, he could barely walk, was wheezing more frequently and had bloodshot eyes. When my dad came home, and saw him in such a terrible state, he immediately took him to find a vet. By then it was 11+ and he had to go all the way to KL, Jalan Tun Razak where there was an Animal Hospital still open.

Thank goodness, because it turns out that Snubby has a failing heart, and needed the medication ASAp. (my family pretty pissed at the first vet for not picking up on it at all) This morning, i went to visit him- he was looking and acting so much better. I was shown the x-ray of his lungs and heart, and the Dr. pointed out to me what was what. Snub has an enlarged heart, and to me from the x-ray, it looks huge for such a small dog... And there is some fluid in the lungs =(

Snub is a senior citizen already, he's turning 9 this year and like old people, his body is not so strong anymore. Sigh.

He'll be discharged tomorrow. I hope he'll be alright.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

The power of love to change bodies is legendary, built into folklore, common sense, and everyday experience. Love moves the flesh, it pushes matter around.... Throughout history, "tender loving care" has uniformly been recognized as a valuable element in healing. ~Larry Dossey

I hope the above quote can be of some form of consolation in the hope of soothing you of the pain of watching them suffer.

Let me quote another favourite line of mine, apologies if it doesn't suit the occasion.

"But all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time". ~Mitch Albom, the five people you meet in heaven

Anonymous said...

beautiful doggies u hv there! so kesian they hv to go thru all this... :( mine's struggling wif fleassssssssssss... argh

toPher said...

oi amber..
you got pinch your doggies wan or not??..kekekekeke...

Anonymous said...

oh man.. poor snubby. yah.. i can cry jst leaving jd at petshop for BOARDING (not even an op!) and cried my eyeballs for my previous dog... so yah. feel your pain.
hope snubby gets better..

Anonymous said...

oi topher.
keke i dun pinch my doggy1 lo...
it lurve a TUMMY SCRATCH...
sumtimes it just cling on my leg...
wanting more scratch...
If pinch oso, the fleas 1st lo...
u cum nx ;)

Come on snubby u can do it!

queen shelby said...

Hey Amber! We use something called Spot On to get rid of the fleas...Quite effective. I still wana bash u up over the card trick that day... =p

And aint it funny how all dogs LURVE getting a belly rub, and there's always ONE spot that gets their leg going ... =)