Friday, November 13, 2009

We all live in a yellow submarine...

Although I was only in Liverpool a total of 48 hours, I think I did manage to cover quite a lot of touristy ground, and one area not to be missed is Albert Dock.




















It used to be, can you guess? A dock! Busy during the WW eras and now the area has been converted into museums. Its quite a nice place to walk around.

I'm guessing the most popular place there is the museum dedicated to 4 lads from Liverpool who created some of the hits that are still much loved today...




















Its worth going to, and your £12 ticket is valid for 48hours so you can go back again the next day if you wanna spend more time there.

You get a head set, and as you walk around you just punch in the numbers indicated next to the displays and the story unfolds.
















Well, it turns out that you are NOT allowed to take photos inside, and I dunno if I was blind or blur, I didn't see any signs at the ticketing counter and was happily clicking away till I turned round a corner andsaw a very clear, in-your-face sign NO PHOTOGRAPY. Oops...
















I liked what they did with the place. You follow the Beatles journey from how they first got together, their rise and their eventual break up.

Each section completely reflected the different stages in their careers. One section had an 'old school' record shop, another had a set of them recording their first single, another section was the inside of an aeroplane for when they first went over to the US; but I think the most famous section is the exact replica of the Cavern Club, the place the Beatles performed the most.















As of June 2009, the Beatle Story museum expanded and set up another exhibition area further down the road at Pier Head.
















Its the biggest shop for Beatles merchandise, and currently has 2 main attractions. One is an exhibition of John Lenon with stuff contributed by his first wife and son., and the other is something I came so close to missing.

Due to time constraints, I couldn't visit Pier Head on the Tuesday, so I toyed with the idea of going the next morning. My bus was at 11am, the museum opens at 10am. I was told that it is a 10 minute short movie, only 10 minutes?! Hmmmm, one hour, 10 minutes - should I squeeze it in?





Yes!














Was outside by 9.40am, waiting for the doors to open. As soon as it was 10am, I dashed in and upstairs only to be told the first screening of it was at 10.40am - oh tidak! Thank goodness staff there were really really nice (as well as cute), and while I was wondering around the Lennon exhibition one of them came up to tell me they were going to do a test run, would I like to sit in for it? Yes please!

Absolutely loved it! Would go back and watch it again, and again if I had the time! Dunno if you have to pay again though, but the £12 ticket from the other museum includes the entrance fee for this one.

Can't say much about what it actually is (in case someone reading does go to Liverpool) but its in 4D (what's that you ask?), its the Beatles (think their crazy style) and its an extension of their music in a modern setting.

Perhaps its kinda like experiencing being high, without being high - if you know what I mean.

=p

No comments: