Monday, November 17, 2008

Weird 25km Half Marathon

Dum dum dum dum dum...dum (dush dush dush dush)
Dum dum dum dum dum...dum (dush dush dush dush)
Dum dum dum dum dum...dum (dush dush dush dush)

Dum dum dum dum dummmmmmmm.....














I did it!

I completed 25km in 3hours and 30mins.

Initially I didn't even think to join, but itchy feet me finally decided and practically on the last day for registration, signed up.

Hey, its the ONLY time the Penang Bridge is closed to traffic... Special okay!

What I'm most proud of is I did better compared to the last time and that I managed to run/jog albeit slowly towards the end, but pretty much all the way this time.

In the previous run I suffered a bad cramp on the steep part of the bridge on the return journey, and it was so painful I could only jog a bit, hobble, jog a bit, hobble.

This time around, I felt a whole lot better; I didn't get vomitty or queasy, my leg almost but didn't cramp and my breathing was fine.

Sure there was pain, but I just kept telling myself to push through it, I could take it.

Oh, and I have now a new respect for this thing called - Power Bar.
In the previous Mizuno run, I bought one, but er... I felt it was a waste of my RM7.

However, I bought one again (cause Alan reminded me about it, and I was lazy to buy bananas and assorted stuff) and it kept me 'filled' and I didn't have the empty stomach feeling. Even better, just before the bridge, they were passing out free PowerGel which I kept all the way till I made the u-turn and was on my way back to the island, because I knew it would be most needed then.
And it worked! Somehow the disgusting, worse than medicine goo sustained me till the end.
Wah.
I repent!
I am a believer now!

Sue Min helped load some songs into my mp3 player, so the first half of the run I had no choice but to listen to charismatic, upbeat "Amen! Halelujah! Praise the Lord!" type songs, that did keep me going.
Not only that, on the way back I repeated one of the powerful Christmas songs, 'Welcome Jesus Our Redeemer' about 5times just to get me up the steep part of the bridge.

Most of all though, it was mentally telling myself not to stop, not to give up.

Overall it was a really good run for me, and I surprised myself considering I actually haven't been training for it.

Of course today my muscles are yelping each time I sit and stand, and going up and down the stairs = Agonizing Torture but, the feeling of conquering the bridge once again surpasses it all.

















*Keep 29th november 2009 free!*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you make it back and better your previous time. Surprised to meet you on the main span. You came all the way to run.

Christopher Koh said...

It's Chariots of fire rite? Hehe

Hasten said...

Thy faith has saved thee!

-PowerBar Ambassador 2004-

Anonymous said...

No offence,but if I ought to run 25KM listening to Amen kinda songs,I'll jump off the Penang bridge.Hahahaha...

queen shelby said...

Larry: Hey! Sorry couldn't really stop to chat- I was half dead and knew if i broke momentum my legs would suffer. It was REALLY great to see a familiar face. Sadly, I left Penang a few hours later so couldn't meet up with anyone. A big Thanks to you and the other helpers and organizers!

Chris: Yup! Can just imagine running past the finish line with that song in the background...

Hasten: Seriously man, if not for the PowerGel, I don't know how I'd be. Regret not borrowing your belt. I could've put my mp3 player there as well, instead of carrying it.

Anon: Hahaha, thankfully it was only the first half of the bridge. I also would OD with those type of songs if it was the whole way.