Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Sharing is Caring

I got an unexpected hug from someone unexpected.

I was at work, staring at the computer screen, when I heard her cursing.

The past few days have been tough for a colleague of mine; she's going through some personal issues I think. Sadly, we are not close enough yet for her to share it with me, but I try to make her feel a little better by offering sweets and smiles. I give her her space.

Today her mood was no better and as she was letting off some steam, some of it was unintentionally directed at me. But as usual, we never notice what we say to people when we're angry, only once the moment has passed do we realize and wish we hadn't said it.

She walked away. I continued with my work.

Suddenly, an arm came from behind and she hugged me.

I wasn't prepared for it, or expecting it. It just came.

All I could do was pat her arm and hope that my squeeze would silently reassure her that "It's okay, I understand..."

Part of me thinks maybe she needed the hug more than I did.

I was thinking about that small gesture the whole day.
It reminded me of a gift I had been given some months ago.

It was a stone with the word 'Share' on it.















Hidden on the inside :
















Sometimes we don't need to speak, we don't need to find the right words to say, we don't need to ask a whole load of questions. We try too hard to sound understanding and spew consoling cliche's, which is not always necessary.

I guess sometimes all it takes is a hug.

No need for words, just the comforting touch from one human being to another.

No comments: