Thursday, April 26, 2007

i hidung tinggi wei

Somebody told somebody that told somebody that told me that somebody told somebody that i was stuck up.

. . . . .

I was initially stunned when i was told.
Kinda like, a mild version of WTF ?
What made me so "Hurh?!" was that, i think i can safely say i know me, and stuck-upped-ness is SO not one of my characteristics. (correct me if i'm wrong)

But then, i told myself, why am i surprised.

It's not the first time people i am not close to have said things that are not nice, nor true, and it wont be the last. Which makes me wonder why do they wanna/have to/need to say anything at all then?

This problem never really happened much in secondary school. Maybe because there were too many students that everyone just couldn't be bothered with things that really dont concern them so much.

It only cropped up in Upper 6, when suddenly, out of no where, a load of crap went round the different Form6 classes, about my classmates, about me, about others.

I've always told myself, those that know me, know me and know what i'm like and what i'm not. If they think i'm what they hear and choose to believe, then they never really were my friends.
Too severe?

Well, that's what happened. My 'friends' could actually sit in on gossip sessions and hear nonsense being said about me and not say a word to set it right. Not only that, they had the cheek to relay it to me, and then give me a sheepish face when i asked them how come they didnt stand up for me. My harmonious gang of friends actually got split up because of all the he said/she said stuff, and that was a really sad thing.

This resulted in me deciding that once Form6 was over, that was it. Since then, i've never bothered to keep in touch with most of them. I mean, why should i? Sakit hati saja.

There was a point where it was at its peak, and i still remember how petty it actually got.

Incident 1
P said, "Shelby told the whole Bio class not to talk to me." and i found out what i had done a week after it apparently happened. Woo hoo! I can time travel!

Incident 2
I bought my dress for Orientation Night (our version of a prom) last minute, the weekend before the event. When Z found out from M what it looked like, Z told M that she wanted to buy a new dress because I had purposely bought a dress that looked like hers. Yes, without even a clue (nor did i care) about what Z's dress was, it appears i'm SO shallow that i purposely scouted shops to find a look-a-like. Ironically, it looked nothing alike.

Incident 3
This was the climax of it all. We were supposed to share a hotel room together, bout 6-7 of us. So i booked one,and we all put our stuff in there, got ready etc. Suddenly later that night, they went off and bunked with some others in another room, leaving only 3 of us to split the bill. That really got me mad, cause they told a direct lie saying they never agreed to stay in the first place.

And that was that.


Now 3 years later, older and wiser- somebody told somebody who told somebody who told me that somebody told somebody that they thought i was stuck up.

Okay, if you say so.

Although i dunno who said it, i have a rough idea, and i know those people don't really know me, so it doesn't effect me greatly. Saddened, but -what to do?

Here's a tip though, choose your words wisely. Word choice is something very important and can really mean different things from what you're actually trying to say.

I'm no saint, but i do have a problem with gossip when its conjured up out of thin air. At least say things that are true la- Shelby's stubborn, she's lazy, she's big sized, she has short stubby fingers, she doesn't return calls, she's bad at blogging...hyuk hyuk


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch your language, young lady...or somebody gonna get a hurt real bad...somebody.

Must be your abnormally large nostrils... haha...kidding. Don't go all self conscious now... they're not THAT big...

Don't worry la...all mat sallehs have high noses... =P Remember the glass if half full...

Anonymous said...

I guess no need to bother about them. Psychology heuristics got the better of them, taking mental shortcuts to seize a person up and too lazy to know people. They can think all they want, and they will remain as shallow and as lazy as they are and will be.

It's been a long time since chatting with you. Apology for not doing so.

Anonymous said...

i think it's the kwailo perception. ppl intimidated by kwailo.
anyways, ppl who know the real u will know ure nothing like stuck-up wei!
well, ur hidung IS more tinggi (cos ure pretty tall :P) so maybe ppl jealous.. :P

Anonymous said...

one word, gal..insecurity!!

my much thought about .c. philosophy on gossipy backstabbing ppl is that ppl only backstab when they're insecure about something. According to Sigmund Freud (continuing from sy's psycho line), when someone is insecure about something, they project it onto someone else to hide it. So prejudice is a result of personal flaws. haha..

shame shame on the poor unenlightened..! :) ;) :D

i know what u mean exactly.. one day i'll tell u all the absurd stories i have heard about my alter ego doing things i didnt even know about.

and yes, physically, your hidung is tinggi-er than alot of puny Msians (girls).

Anonymous said...

omg .. shelby i didn't know lots of things happened to u during the form 6 !

But i am sure there are moments in f6 u enjoyed . Why not forget the bad things that happened and remember the good ones ! Come on dont tell me u forgotton our f6 games and the langkawi trip ...

The bad things happened just a small misunderstandings , it doesnt affect u so much , why not u just forgive them. (maafkan them oni where got sakit hati ! )

I think most of them/me didn't know that u r upset over this matter !

Oh yeah , sorry lor if i kacau u too much during f6 ... i enjoyed them though !

- annoying guy -

Anonymous said...

quote*
"This resulted in me deciding that once Form6 was over, that was it. Since then, i've never bothered to keep in touch with most of them. I mean, why should i? Sakit hati saja."


I thought u are much better then this !

-muharram-