Thursday, November 02, 2006

Visual Violence

It really does sadden me when people no longer recoil in disgust at images like that, but lean forward in anticipation for what’s coming next. The level of violence shown on tv and in the cinema now has now has crossed way past any lines that was ever in place in the past.

And it very scary.

Why? I’ve always believed watching violence for the ‘joy’ of watching makes you numb to it. What is numb? When you can watch a clip of someone getting their leg chopped off or beaten to a pulp and not feel a single thing. I know it can be argued from the angle of, “Oh, it’s just a film, it’s not real…” Though i dont agree- Fine. But with the internet there are so many clips out there just begging to be downloaded, and the worst part is, these are not movies. The people getting hurt/mutilated/killed are not actors. The blood is not tomato paste. The screams are not pretend.

I remember back in Form 6, when ‘beheading’ was the in thing, one of my classmates downloaded the clip into his hand phone and passed it around during class. When he asked if I wanted to view it, I said no, its so sick. And he laughed, saying “Its so cool, you hear him scream then suddenly- stop.”, I still can picture his face. No pity or compassion for the life that was brutally taken, but laughing at me instead.

Another time at a friend’s house, they decided to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I just thought it was another normal horror/thriller flick until the gore got too much for me (this was barely halfway into the movie). I left the tv area, took a magazine and spent the rest of the time reading; while in the background I heard the Woooah’s and Ooooh’s of whatever sick thing was happening to the characters on the screen. They did try to persuade me with the whole “Its not real”, but… no. They thought I was scared; that wasn’t it.

Why do you feel the need to have to cajole me into watching it anyway? I’m far from impressed when people tell me they enjoy viewing anything in this extreme genre.

Perhaps its due to the way I was brought up when I was younger, my parents monitored what I watched and wouldn’t allow me to view anything they deemed to have overly excessive violence for my age. They’d even do the hand-cover-eyes thing. And I thank them for it.

Today, history repeating itself so to speak. Being out with some friends, and one of them had a real clip of some guy getting bashed to death I think, and he played it right there and then in the mamak. What saddens me is how they transformed, actually getting excited and moving closer to the screen to get a closer view. What scares me is their response to what they saw. I told him, I wish you wouldn’t download such disgusting things. My friend said “It automatically downloaded.” ... “Well, you can automatically delete it. It was your choice to keep it.” That is the truth, its all about choice.

Having done some minimal study in the area of Gothic fiction, it does explain how humans have the sense of ambivalence towards things that are disturbing and unnatural. Pain and terror produces a delightful horror, where you feel repulsion and disgust; but at the same time attraction and fascination. In written form it is very different because the reader imagines the scene as it unfolds, and has a certain level of control over the blurry images created in his head. However, with it being in visual form, there is no limitation because you are being shown exactly what happens.

Take this excerpt for example :
“If you still think me mad, you will think so no longer when I describe the wise precautions I took for the concealment of the body. The night waned, and I worked hastily, but in silence. First of all I dismembered the corpse. I cut off the head and the arms and the legs.” The Tell-Tale Heart.

Yes, its brutal and describes a sadistic act, but when i read it, the picture painted in my head was vague and hazy, not DVD 9 quality. Had this been on the screen, I’ve no doubt it would’ve shown each inch of flesh that was cut bit by bit.

And you wonder how there can be such sick people out there, committing unimaginable acts?

I don’t.

Because they don’t need to imagine it.

Its only a mouse or remote control click away.

8 comments:

Hasten said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hasten said...

"If there's violence, then it's sick. If there's horror, then it glorifies Satan. If there's sex, then it's sinful."

This thought struck me when I was asked to bring suitable movies to school to be shown to the Form 3s for their "Program Selepas PMR". I realized, how come I had to think so hard to remember if the movies I brought were suitable for public viewing?

I went home and watched I-Robot that night. I noticed that quite a lot of foul language was in it. Strange thing is, how come I never really noticed it if I didn't make a conscious effort to filter through the movie? Have I become numbed to things that I wouldn't realize unless I deliberately try to see through different eyes? Am I practising double standards?

I asked myself this question once: Has our world reached such a state that it is no longer possible to separate good entertainment from bad entertainment?

I wonder if it's still possible to preach abstinence nowadays, when the accepted norm today is more about expanding our tolerance level.

I still wonder...

Anonymous said...

We screened the TCM and Saw as well here for Halloween. I think that this is the time when all the gory stuff, fake blood and hanging heads do come out. I was pretty freaked during the movie, don't worry. You're not the only one.

I think the important thing is that you don't get numb to all the kinds of violence that are shown nowadays. It's good that you voiced this out. Violence in life has become such a norm we seem to get apathethic to it. Your post shows that it's not ok to just let it be and say, "oh, biasa la." but to filter the violence we see in TV out of our lives

Andrew said...

TV is the single most significant factor contributing to violence in America. -Ted Turner

I agree with you. Just like we always watch what we eat... we should also becareful of what we watch.

But it's debatable isn't it? we are living in a very violent world. How can we avoid all this? Violence is everywhere... especially in the media which we are totally surrounded by it.Like food... we are force feed with visual violence. And another thing if i may add: We are naturally drawn to Violence. It's Tempting... especially to guys, i think.

Remember in Prison Break Season 1 epidsode 2 (my gosh i sound like a Prison Break nerd Freak!) The scene where John Abruzzi Cut Michael's two toes off with a pipe cutter? Now that's sick! I felt a twitch of numbness at toes after that scene. I thought i lost my toes.

Edgar Allen Poe's Tell-Tale Heart... i like his works-la. give him some credits-lah. Personally i think...Our mind is capable of doing what Edgar Allen Poe did. Violence can be triggered at our on choice... we can control it. But if we can't control it - that's MADNESS. That's Edgar Allen Poe. MADNESS MADNESS MADNESS.

Why movies now days contain so many violent stuff? Perhaps the movie makers portray violence in their film is because they wanna show the truth... truth to the XTREME. Or maybe because it's sellable.

Hey Joshua! I also wonder...

I write too much...Shelby, feel free to remove my comment...hehehe.

Anonymous said...

as long as there is demand there will be supply!~...i know what u r gona say to this n it has something to do with my boring major!~...i watched a beheading video from iraq once, out of curiosity and i vowed never to watch another...disturbing is an understatement. duno why i did it in the first place though cos i've never been a fan of violent movies, guess the realness of it ignited my curiousity...

queen shelby said...

Hasten: Let them watch,erm... High School Musical! Keke, no sex or horror or violence.
I enjoy Hallmark channel stuff actually.(yes,smirk...)They've got some really good stuff.

Andrew: Of course i rmb that PB epidsode, and i was shocked that they showed it.I really thought the camera would pull away at the last moment, but it didnt!

And dont get me wrong about Edgar Allen Poe's work, i like..!I was just trying to say that written gore and visual gore is VERY different.

"Violence can be triggered at our own choice... we can control it." But what happens to those that cant...Scary huh?

Rubin- I'm glad something good came outta ur curiosity, but doesn't happen all the time. Remember the saying, *altogether now* Curiosity Killed the Cat!

Speaking of cats,Poe has a short story entitled The Black Cat

"The fury of a demon instantly possessed me. I knew myself no longer. My original soul seemed, at once, to take its flight from my body; and a more than fiendish malevolence, gin-nurtured, thrilled every fibre of my frame. I took from my waistcoat-pocket a pen-knife, opened it, grasped the poor beast by the throat, and deliberately cut one of its eyes from the socket! I blush, I burn, I shudder, while I pen the damnable atrocity."

Who ever said literature was boring...

Hasten said...

The girls watched Peter Pan :)

Anonymous said...

Ever wonder why the crime rate is going up nowadays? Ever wonder why the crime a.k.a murder committed is becoming so horrible even Hollywood pales in comparison?

For me, I never like to watch movies that incorporate both violence and horror. Watching An American Haunting and The Amityville Horror was a mistake. I watched The Skeleton Key the other day. Even though there was no violence, the storyline disturbed me.

I remember a quote from D3: The Mighty Ducks, "Watching TV? I'm sure that's the safest thing to do in my hood".

It's an indication that violence already exists, and you don't even have to get it from the telly.

There's even subtle violence on childrens' programmes, on Disney Channel, for example. Though I find that that's the only thing I like to watch nowadays. Besides sports, that is.

However, it must be cautioned that one does not point the finger at the media alone, although it is a huge factor. The offender's background must be taken into consideration as well. Their upbringing is of utmost importance.

All in all, there are always two sides to a coin.