Monday, December 05, 2005

en.ZYME



National Conference 2005 : en.ZYME

Now that I’m back, and have had time to re-adjust to reality, I can finally blog.

In one sentence NC is People
LOADS of people - 450 in total
LOADS of diff backgrounds - 44 tribes (uni's and colleges)
LOADS of diff denominations - everything also ada la

I don't quite know how to describe the whole thing. To be honest, by the 4th day I was ready to go home. There's just something about being with SO many people, that’s there's little point in meeting those you know you wont even see again rest of the camp. Most starting conversations go like this: "Hi, I'm Shelby, you are? Which Uni are you from? Where are you from?" that’s the same formula used about 30 times the past week.

Our theme talks were on the book of Joshua, and I feel it wasn't really Joshua that was being discussed, but the speaker would jump to his own stories to tell, amusing and funny ,yes, but I still felt he should've focused more on the topic. Can't say I gained much from them.

plenary: (of a meeting at a conference or assembly) to be attended by all participants
First one on Identity and racism. It was pretty good...I hope it slapped some people in the faces and made them realise that even the smallest of actions can speak loads. Since the conference was like, 90% Chinese, the speaker was saying how in Uni's all the Chinese speaking students will clump together and speak only Chinese. So true... Everyone knows B.M, so why don’t we use it? He also brought up how we should be proud of our country, we as MALAYSIANs, not Chinese, Indian, Malay and Lain-lain.

Second one was WAY off topic...Before it started, USM was supposed to do an intro sketch of the topic. It was about Building Up and Dispersing, how many students from small towns go to bigger cities to study, and end up not wanting to return to rural areas, how Christians should take up the challenge to do so. So anyways, I was part of it, shaking there on stage in front of 400+ people...Worst of all, squatto Chris called me an ang mo on stage, so now most people think I am one...tsk tsk...terrible-I’ve still not forgiven him. It went alright I guess, but the speaker was talking about politics and what not, so it made our sketch seem off.

Last was the best, I thoroughly enjoyed the topic and speaker, about Islamization. He said, by Wawasan 2020 if things keep going the same, M'sias population will be 85% Muslim. That stunned me. He said that most people don’t think long term, don’t look far enough into the future...He jokingly and seriously said "Guys, go and get married; girls, don’t be so picky" ; Be fruitful and multiply... =p Organized, on time and very informative- he was the best speaker of the lot.

Fun stuff that happened? Games were pretty fun, though the typical simple games...Was enjoyable. Learnt to play bridge, darn exciting man...NOT an old people's game. Outta the 450, not many cute guys to look at, only about 10 max... ;p

On the last night, I was surprised when all the lights went off and staff started passing out glow-sticks, we sang the camp theme song and some worship songs...I mean, huh?!? Sorry la, but it seemed more like a Jay Chow concert than a time of worship. Then a few glow-stick balls were thrown around the hall...I told Sam that it just took all the seriousness outta worship.

Summary: It was okay-la... I didn't gain much from the talks, I didn’t make that many friends and my spiritual life is not like, pumped up or whatever. But it has made me think more, bout Christianity and denominations and worship etc.

Also, watched the Canticle Singers on Sat night with Jon and Rudi. It was not that good, forgettable performance. After, we had dinner and desert (A&W waffle, yum!) during which a slightly heated discussion about TLC and other churches came about...i hated it, but what to do...its an issue that many Brethren talk about and I think its darn stupid. Especially since neither party knows fully what’s going on or why leaders have chosen to make certain decisions.

So it wasn't the bestest of endings to a fun day.

Now, i'm sick (flu) pretty bad la, didn't go to church yesterday and had to pull outta narrating for choir. My voice is totally gone case.. Water is what i'm super lacking, my own fault.
*sniff sniff*

1 comment:

toPher said...

Lame la u samuel leong