Thursday, April 28, 2005

Time, Flags and Captain Ball



Last Saturday was Copa Iba...woo hoo! Sadly I couldn’t take my digicam with me cause my mom wanted to use it. I did take some pics when we were making the flag, and after uploading them, I realized that I took almost the EXACT same pics last year...We were at the same place(Joshua's house), same time (night) but different ppl.Josh and Sam look so young! Looking at the pics its crazy to think how fast one year went by. So much has happened and so much has stayed the same.

I played for TTDI church again this year...feel a bit guilty and again say sorry to TLC.I'm not a traitor okay, they didn’t have enough girls...(?)And last year there wasn’t even any space in TLC's team, so...I have to admit though, I really enjoy playing with TTDI team, we're all so jolly, laughing at the most silly nonsense imaginable, and even with barely any training, we can play together alright.But the ironic thing is, the grouping I was in, first match was against LIFE CHAPEL! Argh! The horror of playing against own church. Oh well,thats the way the cookie crumbles...

It was a bad start to the day actually, with me and Li getting up late, thanks to our usual mamak session the night before…terrible…! Poor Josh had to wait outside for 8minutes while we got ready. But all worked out as we weren't the latest ppl to arrive at church...as long as Samuel's around, I'll never be the latest! TLC's convoy got lost on the way to RRIM, so hilarious cause in my car Josh was saying "We should've taken a left back there, not a right..." and true enough, about 3minutes later, the bus we rented, along with 6other cars all had to make a big U-turn, and trust me, on those kinda roads its not an easy task.

This year Copa for me was more fun, I guess cause after RBS I know a whole lot of other ppl from various churches. Was nice to see ppl here n there with the monkey shirt on. But I don’t think was the right time for a proper "catching up" session, as everyone was just everywhere, doing their own thing. Overall I had a very fulfilling day, played the best I could, got bonked on the head by an elbow that resulted in a slightly painful bump, goofed about with my pals, and just enjoyed spending the day cheering on others.

Now I come to the part of copa that I don’t like. Put competition and guys together, its bound to turn into something ugly. Kayla, not all the blame on guys,90% at least. But I feel copa is not achieving what it started out to do. Its become so competitive, that injuries, sometimes serious ones occur during matches, people lose their cool, and in anger, words come out that shouldn't. To me, it should just be a day where different churches can all come together and have a good, fun day of sports, as well as an event for bringing friends. NOT who's the winner, NOT bad mouthing churches behind their backs, NOT winning at all costs. Sorry la, but I feel strongly bout this cause how can you on the one hand say we're Christians at a Christian event, and then behave like we have no principles. This is SO not practicing what you preach, and at the end of the day, what matters most? A good testimony or a medal. I'm not saying I wouldn’t wanna win , or that those who trained hard for it don’t deserve it, its just that I expect a different standard of playing and ethics at Copa Iba I guess...There were some really great teams that seemed to have it "right" , playing properly, yet laughing and just having a good game of Captain ball.

Then there's the whole importing the best players from state level and so on...I'm cool with ppl inviting a friend that they've been making an effort to bring to church and all, but last minute call to come, then never see ever again...? What’s that all about?!? Sometimes I wonder if events like this do more harm than good? I'm optimistic by saying, of COURSE good la, think of all the new comers and fun had...and so on. But every year its so predictable what’s gonna happen that in the back of my mind I’m like "...what’s the point?"

Basically, at Copa I do get to see the ugly side of people, but then again we are only human. I just hope I never become a highly strung, crazy "win or die trying" person. Don’t think I ever will tho, I laugh too much and take it easy most of the time. I mean, what is the point of shouting ur head of, or getting all angry and bothered over something that will soon melt into the past?

Which brings me back to how time works. Like last year's Copa, it's already become a memory. And since I took it as just a game, I can remember things like how the flag took so long to finish, how the TTDI convoy got lost going (ish,maybe I’m the jinx), my un-colour coordinated team, when I was catcher I nearly fell off the chair and a cute defender helped steady me...Mmmmm...(cant believe Chris saw that!) and of course, getting sun burnt. NOT how many points we lost by, NOT who banged into me hard on purpose, NOT which church was the rough one...

On a happy note, I DIDNT get a sunburn for the first time in YEARS! Usually I’m the one looking like a lobster by the end of the day. Really pays to keep reapplying sun block. Its so much fun to see others in pain cause of the trapped heat and peeling skin...Muahahaha...

3 comments:

-- J e e L e e -- said...

One of the things that i miss dearly - COPA IBA...If not for my exams, i'll defititely come and get sunburn together-gether. Was JOSH even there? He's no more Mr.Beautiful liao. Haha..and yes, sam has "grown" so much edi. And his hair!! ARRGGGHH...pls go tell him to do sumthing bout it. It's not cool. U gotta see him when he came and sat for his law test and he went : Why are all the guys either bald or have super SUPER short hair? And, i gave him my "don't-you-know" look. It's NS lar!!!

Haha...anyway, yes i agree with whatever u've said about what Copa Iba shd be and what it has not!But, i think the "management" is trying their very best to make it what they intend it to be. But, we all know that no one works alone. And if the churches that participate do not cooperate, then, nothing will turn out as intended rite? When you've got churches who go all out to get superb tall ppl (from donno where) in order to win and prob break the record of winning all the time, then, there goes all the fun! And yes, i agree with u. it's important that churches behave like churches. Hah!It IS a bridging event - Copa IBa that is -and it is important that we remember who we are and who's image we bear. And if what we reflect is not God but instead we act as if we wanna be COOL or sumthing la, den...better sit home and sleep. Why wake up at 5am and head to RRIM and play till 4/5pm and plus all the training sessions prior to COpa Iba - all because wanna look cool or impress other churches or impress a special someone? ish.....

Anyway, nothing will work without prayer...so, lets start placing much importance in prayer. If not, praying is gonna be like a some sort of a ritual?? hmm....BEWARE!!!

:)

ps: here i come...Long post..and You'll see me in MAY 16th?? Maybank Mamak!!! Abang, nasi lemak ayam...hahah...

Su said...

Well you know what..looks like by God's grace, objectives were met this year. 2 ppl were saved and many rededicated their lives. And from our church alone. Hallejuah! :)

And I can't believe you missed out the most important part of the whole trip...the flag, and us running around with it.

queen shelby said...

Jee Lee, believe it or not, but Josh WAS there, the whole day some more...And he didnt even complain that much, so yay! he looks better with a healthy tan anyway,not so stay-in-house fair skin...
And Su..Words cannot begin to describe how you and Shaun ran around with the flag...such gusto, such enthusiasm...hahaha, politically correct way out. But you were great that day Su, in everything u did,from being coach, cheerleader, supervisor, transport/bus coordinator...Just to let you know, you rock!