Sunday, April 24, 2005

Its 3am and i must be lonely...



Nope. Not at all. The past week, at around 3am I’ve had some of the deepest conversations with people, ever. I think it has something to do with when you stay awake past your body clock's normal sleeping time, then you're body is tired-ish, but mind so awake and alert...You just say whatever that comes to ur mind, but because of laziness or whatever, you don’t bother to sugar coat ur words, or be politically correct or word it in a way so as not to offend anyone. You just say what’s from your gut, honest and raw.

With diff people, I talked about relationships, masks we wear, people's expectations, church policies, practices and beliefs, the new pope and how to clean a baby's blocked nose. (I’m still very skeptical of the method I was told). The conversation just flowed on and on. And the best part is, it was with people who would actually listen to what I was saying, and not just want to speak their opinion and to heck with what I think.

But if course you cant just be having these kinda talks with any ol' Joe, because it’s at these times, 3am is when you might be vulnerable. Like thieves, they break into ur house when everyone is fast asleep, commanders attack the enemy in the dead of night, like wise, when speaking openly and honestly, you’re breaking down masks, and barriers and defenses. So, if it’s with the wrong person, there's the danger of damage being done.

I've kena that before. Being honest with someone, telling them some stuff, and the fella turn around and backstab me...Argh! Talk about a totally wrong judgment of character. But back to the talks I had, one of the main themes was who we are, and who other's view us as...It’s very scary. What was kinda concluded is that nobody really knows anybody... And that’s super sad, dont you think? We only know to a certain degree about a person what that person chooses to reveal. But I don’t believe in that either. I feel I know some people really well, better than they think I know.

I guess, we can never really know if we know someone. And maybe some things are better left unknown. But I still think if there's even an opportunity to talk with a friend, a 3am talk as I call it, go for it. Some people have told me it seems too prying and not appropriate and “don’t la, maybe the person doesn’t wanna open up”. There’s no harm in trying. Obviously don’t push it la, like a rhino barging into a tree. But if you never try, then you’ll never know if you could’ve actually opened up urself to someone and had the same in return.

**For those that saw World on Fire, I wonder if you noticed something. There's a scene bout a woman that works 2 jobs in Ghana, selling oranges at night, bout 1minute 35seconds into the video. When she enters her house, did ya see that was painted on the door? Psalm 118 (5-12?) I dunno bout you, but I find that amazing.**

No comments: