Monday, February 15, 2010

How slow is a slow cooker?

Can a slow cooker = a rice cooker?

These are the important questions I find myself asking as I attempt to make the most complicated and intricate dish of all - porridge.

I can hear my parents groaning "Oh my god, our daughter is a nincompoop".

Yesterday, first day of CNY I went to Brighton and the most Chinesee thing I saw was a Chinese Mini Market.

Imagine my delight when I went in and found IndoMi Goreng!

Happiness! However the family friend that I'm staying with didn't seem to share my enthusiastic excitement.

Decided against it (not worth the £s), and instead went for my usual porridge ingredients, a combination that I simply love love love.













Yes, what you are looking at is probably the most expensive porridge ever (RM24) but its okay. Was worth the price for a bowlful of homey, comforting food.

I thought it pretty funny when the lady at the counter looked at my items and stated, "That's a very Chinese selection..."

I have to admit that I've had more Malaysian food in the last 3days than I've had in the past 3months, which could be a bad thing cause it's only made me want Malaysian food more.

Chinese New Years Eve Dinner - Siew Yok & Asparagus and prawns fried in belachan


































New Years Dinner - Hokkien Mi (slightly improvised version)

3 comments:

imissw said...

yummy! one of my fav meals when i was there was to have rice in chinese cabbage soup and one whole can of the fried dace with fish!!!!

yr new year's meal looks good too. the siew yoke's skin looks deliciously crunchy. and i can't eat prawns nor sambal at this time - so tt looks so desirable!

take care and hv as good a new year as u can over there!

imissw said...

and oh, glad to see from yr status on g-talk that the porridge was a success!

u're not a nincompoop after all - but we all knew that!

VulcanSpock said...

Rice cooker definitely not equal to a slow cooker. Slow cooker can cook porridge if you cook it in the morning and eat it in the evening. Best way to cook porridge is still over the stove. A bit of rice, a lot of water, bring it to boil on big fire, then turn down the heat to small fire, throw in the rest of the ingredients (chicken, scallops, etc), cook it to your desired texture (teow chew style, porridge mesh, or something in between) :-)