Friday, February 20, 2009

Slumdog vs Button

Within a week I managed to watch both films -







After watching the two, I personally hope that









the Oscar goes to...

























Both were original and fresh ideas -
Growing old backwards vs A slumdog on Who Wants to be a Millionaire

Both have great actors-
Brad Pitt and Kate Blanchett vs A quarter of India

Both have breathtaking visuals-
Time passing from 1918-2005 vs The backstreets and slums of Mumbai

Both have deep themes woven into the stories-
Death and Identity vs Poverty and Evil

Both had romance-
Long drawn out love vs Love at first sight

Overall though I thought Slumdog Millionaire had more feel compared to Benjamin Button.

I felt The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was trying too hard with making the story great, but missed out some of the smaller details that didn't complete the scenes to make it real.

But that just me.

We'll see what happens at the Oscars.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Kes Hairan Bunyamin Butang's story is taken from a book. Can't remember what it's called.

The book wasn't even mentioned in the Oscars, or anywhere else. Except in Newsweek. Where the writer of the book said his peace.

Kevin said...

taken from a short story written by Scott Fitzgerald (Great Gatsby) of the same name.

And I do agree, the movie lacks the tragic feel of the book. I haven't watched Slums yet so no comment.

jess said...

i dont think its even a fair comparison. button was such a dissapointment for me. it had great lines but absolutely no climax and pitt has done so much better work than that! slumdog was miles ahead :)

queen shelby said...

Hey all,

Yeah I know its taken from elsewhere - even Slumdog is from a book Q&A. What I meant was its something fresh from whats been in the cinemas the past couple of years.

Kevin - Go watch Slumdog man, you SO gotta watch it. Wish I could tag along to Queensbay Mall with ya and catch it again...

Jess - Yeah, i know what you're saying. Such rich content but poorly delivered. Totally agree about there being no climax. The 'round up' at the end was forgettable and had no impact. Tis a shame.

aKidos said...

I want wall - E


http://lacesandfrills.blogspot.com/ my cyberprenurship project