Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Be a frog

Last month, I entered a fully fun for fun's sake event.

It was the Japanese School of Kuala Lumpur's Aquathalon 2009.

Having never joined such an event before, I thought why not give it a shot.

Initially I thought I had to both run and swim, and was pretty worried since I know how to swim but I don't know how to swim properly; so I thought I'd be doing my 'frog stroke'.

Thankfully it was a relay event and I managed to recruit Joshua (Lee not Hooi) to be my partner - he swim, I run.

Bright and early Saturday morning we entered the school, and upon looking around at our competition, we started to freak out... I thought they would be just average fit people like me, around my age but no......

They were all less that 4feet tall and on average 7years old.

Seriously!

Josh and I vowed to NOT participate if we were up against humans that barely reach out waist. Super adorable though, mostly Jap kids. Comel!

Only much later on did we spot some 'older' people - 16year olds. Sigh.

The idea was Josh would swim about 300m and I would run 3km. Doesn't sound to bad...Till I found out:
















Yes. We thought it was a relay event BUT more than half who were in my category were completing it SOLO! So shy.

Moments before the race- Team Miracle Mile.
















We didn't do too bad... Sorta.
(Truth is we were one of the last few... Overtaken in both swimming and running by the SOLO participants)

My run wasn't good because I didn't pace myself properly;
starting too fast causing me to 'pancit' early.

These babies helped though, very comfortable and weightless.















On the whole I'm glad I went. First time joining such an event, first time going to JSKL, first time in a 2-person relay...

The 'Man of the Match' so to speak was this guy -
















Master of Ceremonies who alternated between
Japanese, Ein-ga-liesh and Ma-lay.

No comments: