Monday, September 22, 2008

Hello, do I know you?

.
Today I was walking along and I saw 3 people I knew. I didn't know them all that well, but well enough to stop and say hello.

I didn't know them all that well, but well enough to know one wouldn't want to stop and say hello, and he didn't. He pretended not to see me and looked away, head down. I wasn't surprised. I was amused by how hard he tried not to be seen, though he was right in front of me.

I didn't know them all that well, but well enough to know that the second would've followed the first, he did. I was disappointed. Not because I was hoping he would say hello, but because I know he would have said hi if it were just him.

I didn't know them all that well, but well enough to know that the last one would smile and say hi, and he did. I was glad. Simply because its always nice when someone else is nice to you.

People are interesting.

I don't take offense for what No. 1 did, it's his style. Don't say good morning, don't show emotion, don't look interested. He tries so hard to disassociate himself from stereotypes that he becomes a stereotype. He doesn't want to be labeled but cannot run from the label that it like a clothes tag popping out the back of a shirt collar.
80% Cotton. 20% Lycra. Machine Wash Cold. Do Not Iron.
And predictably to spite the label, he will hand wash it in hot water and iron it dry.

No. 2 I feel, not sorry for, but I have a sigh reserved for him. He is the one who matter-of-factly hangs his dirty linen in public, then shrugs it off with a 'same sh*t, different day' attitude to convince himself he is not affected by the brokenness surrounding him. He contemplates a lot about his situations, always seeking the solution that will never solve the root of the problem. Strives to be detached and unaffected, he overcompensates by doing the extreme of all things normal.

No. 3 is the hardest one to read. He's nice, friendly and funny. Yet, I do not believe he is as 2 dimensional as that. Usually overshadowed by the friend he takes the lead from, behind his back he strays away and gives secret smiles and approving nods. Deep down I think he feels he is lacking physically, and try as you might, it is almost impossible to embrace so-called worldly imperfections. For that he takes his place a little lower, a little lesser, a little humbler.

People are interesting.

No comments: