Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cool as a Cucumber

“You’re the kind that people will invite to gatherings and stuff...”

Huh? And what kind is that?

I was talking to a friend who was saying that she felt herself to be a person that would be forgotten about years down the road, and thinks when there are things like reunions, she would be missed out.
She went on to say I’m the type thats outgoing, can change the mood of the room or whatever, and I replied: It’s the hair.

Jokes aside, I was actually a little offended and defensive to be put into that category, even though I know it wasn’t meant in the way I’m thinking. Why I didn’t like it was I don’t like the idea of me being associated with the ‘populars’ of any social group. Sad to say, when I think ‘popular’, it’s more negative than positive that comes to mind. Words that are related to popular are things like ‘cool’, in-crowd, and happening. Bleh.

These are some of the things that I don’t want to be associated with:

1. ‘Cool’, so means will give only certain people the time of day, those equally ‘cool’ and happening.
2. Don’t wanna mingle with a different crowd. I can’t stand it when I ask people out and their first response is, “Who else is going?” Urgh.
3. Find things lame and will respond unenthusiastically because it’s not ‘cool’.
4. Make others feel un‘cool’; can be done by the way they speak and topics broached.


I’m talking in terms of a broader social setting, like in a club or society. Not the friends that you hang out with. This is not the same as having cliques. Obviously we all have our circle of good/best friends. It’s when the different circles are in the same setting, it sucks when the ‘cool’ people make others feel ‘uncool’. But it doesn’t mean that a noisier group is any more ‘happening’. Man, I dislike the term ‘cool’.

I've heard several times people mention they wish they were in a different group because so-and-so is there, and its got more 'happening' people, so more fun. My response is, why don't you work on your group dynamics and make it 'happening'; its so unfair to dump people that way.

Then again, of course there’s always the other side where it’s also the responsibility of the quiet, shy, ‘boring’ people to do something about what they perceive to be their duller group or whatever. If I jump out of the car when the traffic lights are red, and hop into another friend’s car just for fun, you think its ‘cool’, and you wanna do it, then do it… Watching and thinking, but not doing prevents you from the thing that you think you wanna be. Whatever that is.

I dunno man, its all relative. If you’re in a group that does 'boring' things, but you’re having a blast, then that’s cool to you. That’s all that matters. Why compare.

How ironic, on the exact same day that friend was lamenting to me about her ‘uncoolness’, I went to watch a movie with a group of friends, and my passenger who is in the ‘cool’ category asked me who else is going. When I told her, her response was “Eyer, why such lame people.” I know it was a joke, and she didn’t mean it, but it was just very bad timing and it got me really annoyed.

It was the exact reason why I wouldn’t wanna be labeled ‘cool’.

I don’t think I’m ‘cool’ anyway.
I have 'boring' hobbies that are mostly done quietly on my own, which i think are cool though.

One of my old school mates summed me up as being this character:




















Eh-hyuk...Eh-hyuk...!

(He hardly epitomises the concept of 'cool')


*Take not that there's cool and there's 'cool'...*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you're weird AND uncool.

queen shelby said...

oh shuddup!
hehehe

I'll be back for good soon, so you better watch out!

Anonymous said...

Social studies. Interesting. I think it all comes down to the insecurity of the 'uncool', as well as the possible insecurity of the 'cool' ones. Thus the pride of being apart of the cool, No? People should learn to feel comfy being themselves. Cliche iknow. Just my HO anyway. I'm insecure, i don't even dare leave a name