Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bending

A friend recently wrote about honesty on her blog, about the consequences and reaction of a person who asked for honesty and couldn't handle what my friend had to say.

Shortly after reading it, I was in a similar yet different situation where I found out a friend was not being totally honest with me. Instead of just being straight, she said one thing, then another but the truth was revealed in the worst kind of way - an sms meant for someone else was accidentally sent to me...

What a fool I felt I was! What a let down and a disappointment, with regards both to the issue at hand and more importantly, the friendship.

I guess I felt I was in a friendship where to expect anything less than honesty was not a possibility. It was such a small matter that I'm surprised she felt she had to, not tell an outward lie, but chose to bend the truth, fearing I might be, like the situation discribed above, unable to handle the truth.

Perhaps the most unsettling thing about this is wondering what I have done, or how I have portrayed myself to make my friend think that I was the sort of person who would not be able to handle something reasonably.

Those who know me know I'm usually pretty blunt in a non-Simon Cowell manner, and all I ask for is the same in return.

Sometimes its a very tricky situation to be in; tell the truth and hurt or bend it and spare. The most important thing about bending the truth is you better make sure you dont get caught, because its just as bad as getting caught telling a lie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear this ... ;-(