Friday, May 21, 2010

Temporary Home

I dunno if I've explained why I'm still in the UK. I was supposed to go back to Malaysia in January, but my cousin here in Scotland is getting married in July and my whole family is coming over for it so we figured it would make more sense to just extend my stay instead of go back, only to fly over to the UK again.

Its funny how when I left 3months seemed like a really long time, but I've been here almost 7months now and its felt like the time has just whizzed by.

Anyhow, I saved up for this trip and my 3month budget was being stretched to the limit. Since I was staying with relatives, I didn't have to worry about food and a roof over my head, but still - didn't want to impose too much.

Everyone said get a job, which I 100% wanted to do but the job situation in the Uk is pretty grim at the moment. So many locals were laid off last year and are looking for work, so its even tougher for a foreigner like me.

Thankfully though, I managed to get somewhere unexpected and have been working the past 2 weeks now. Its an outdoor centre, up in the North of Scotland in an area called Glenshee. It can have up to 70ish guests at one time, mostly school groups during the weekdays and youth groups on weekends. I'm doing housekeeping duties and I don't think I've ever cleaned so much in my life.

My day begins with cleaning and ends with cleaning. Though the pay is just so so, food and accommodation is provided here which is great because now I'm not a 'burden' to anyone.

The centre has people from all over - 3 Germans, a Filipino, an Australian, a South African couple, English folkes and of course some Scots. Most of the housekeeping staff are around my age which is also a relief because it was longing for peer friendship.

So this is what I'll be doing till the wedding date, working and saving and enjoying God's creation.

No comments: